Subject: Model Flattening Technique
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 20:05:34 -0800

Reply:  Item #2731093 from [email-masked]@INET01#

 >>we should somehow use a flattened model...

 >There's no easy way in LW unfortunately...

Bring your model into Modeler, and rotate it in a view window so it
is positioned how you want to see it when it is flat.

Note, you could use the "Save Transformed" function in Layout to save
the position from there.

Now use the "Set Val" function with a value of "0" and check the
appropriate axis. This will flatten out your object. Next, set all
surfaces to "Default" and export to Layout using a different name.
Reneder the new object, and you get a black and white pic to paint on.
No parallax problem, no object growth. Saves you from moving the
camera waaaaay back, and zooming waaay in.

Repeat this as necessary, rotating the various pieces of interest so
you get a nice flat surface to paint on.

Pull these pics into TPaint, or some other paint prog, to create a
image map for the final surface on the real object.

I had been working on a macro that will do the flattening part, then
trace the outside of the object to create 1 polygon in the shape if
the object.  I was playing around with the cow object, making paper
thin pics of cows in various poses. I got some really neat pics :)
ARexx is real slow removing the inside polygons though. I wish I
could get Allen to add some features in ARexx's Modeler interface. It
would make this and other macros more feasable.

I really need to find a Rexx Plus compiler somewhere. Post me personally
if there is interest in my completing this macro, or if someone knows
where I can get the compiler.

[email-masked]